Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Because whoever deprives himself of pleasure, to live with anguish and with worries, doesn't know the tricks of the world." - Machiavelli, Mandragola

For George's class this morning we sat outside of Villa Ullivi, looking over the grounds, and read the entirety of Machiavelli's Mandragola, all about deception and adultery - of course we had tons of fun with that.
After that it was off to the Galleria Academia for Jane's class to see the statue of David, which was truly remarkable. To all of those who requested, I told David hello or you (Poppop!). After that we went to the San Lorenzo Church to see the Cappella Medici (the Medici Chapel), which was decked out in marble and gold, among other displays of enormous wealth and appreciation of beauty.
(San Lorenzo church)
(entrance to the Medici Chapel)
I decided it was essential that I purchase a poster of Botticelli's The Birth of Venus (because it's beautiful and I love it), so after class Branson and I went on a quest to do just that. I found a vendor, told him what I wanted, and upon asking "quanto costa" I got a "venti euro," and he got an "um dude no way." He asked me how much I would pay, and I said "quattro euro," to which he refused, but when I started walking away he said "ten please!" as he was rolling it up for me to take. I said no - he said "seven!" I said "no, quattro!" to which he pulled out Botticelli's Primavera and said "ok, both for eight." I agreed, pulled out a 10 euro bill as he ripped some other American off (10 euro for one poster? really?), and offered him the money saying "ok, I need due back," to which he pulled out Raffaello's Angels (the two baby cherubs, molto famoso) and said "ten for all three." He turned to his comrade, explaining in Italian that he did it because I spoke some Italian, to which I laughed and said "va bene, va bene!" He shook my hand, and off I went with my three posters for 10 euro after having started off with one poster for 20 euro. That was a long story, I know, but isn't that impressive? My psuedo-efficiency in the Italian language is getting me places around here! Or at least getting me some bargains on posters, whatever. I was proud of myself.

That's all for today, about to head outside to do some serious reading as the sun goes down, then some pliƩs, paper planning, and tinkering around on my newly strung (and semi in-tune) guitar. Off to the country tomorrow with the class, should be a good time! A domani!

Ciao Amori!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment